Part-time Health Coordinator
- The Welcoming Health Project is a volunteer-led health and wellbeing initiative for migrants and refugees in Edinburgh. The purpose of this part-time role is therefore to plan, deliver and evaluate the Edinburgh Joined Board funded Welcoming Health Project.
- Organise Welcoming Walks for migrants and refugees who may feel isolated and are unfamiliar with the city.
- Organise Cycling for Newcomers for migrants and refugees who may feel isolated, and/or lack knowledge, confidence or opportunity to cycle safely in Edinburgh.
- Organise Welcoming Jogging for locals and newcomers who may feel isolated and/or lack confidence in their ability to run or access safe running routes in Edinburgh.
- Oversee the running of the Welcoming Games Night for migrants and refugees who may feel isolated and looking for a fun and accessible activity to share with others.
- Organise the Welcoming Swimming for women and children who lack confidence with swimming and need access to women’s only swimming facilities (a partnership project with Edinburgh Leisure and Active Schools)
- Organise Gym and Swim for migrants and refugees who wish to discover local leisure facilities and enjoy exercising together.
- Signpost participants (people from the community) to these activities and other external opportunities. (This role does NOT include giving clinical advice).
- Create meaningful, enjoyable and well-supported volunteer roles.
- Link participants in to other activities at the Welcoming. These include employability support, digital skills, and community food growing and creative arts, thereby offering further opportunities for connecting with others, keeping active, healthy eating, contributing to the community and gaining new skills.
- Build new, and maintain existing, partnerships with relevant health, wellbeing and support organisations
- Develop and maintain innovative ways of monitoring and evaluating activities
- Write reports for funders and other internal/external purposes
|Education and Qualifications|
|Educated to diploma or degree level in health, sport, leisure or |
recreation (or other related field of study)
|-At least one year experience of: Healthy living Community Health |
-Designing and facilitating workshops
-Monitoring and evaluation of projects
-Building and maintaining partnerships with third sector, corporate
and public sector bodies
|Knowledge, skills and attributes|
|Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills|
Fluency in English
Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office and social media
Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
Commitment to the vision and the values of The Welcoming
|Education and Qualifications|
|Any qualification in sport, health, leisure or recreation|
|-Experience of: Recruiting, supporting and supervising volunteers |
-Working with migrant and refugee communities and demonstrable
understanding of relevant issues
-Working with individuals with limited English
– Knowledge of the voluntary sector and community organisations
|Please apply by filling in the application form here|
Closing date Friday 19th July 2019.
An application pack is available for download here.
All applications should be sent to [email protected]
For an informal chat about the role please contact Tesfu Gessesse, Director of The Welcoming Association, on 0131 346 8577 or by emailing Tesfu at [email protected]
The Welcoming Association, Unit 1, 20 Westfield Avenue, Edinburgh EH11 2TT
0131 346 8577 / [email protected] / www.thewelcoming.org
Scottish Registered Charity No SC041952. Company Limited By Guarantee No SC398913