Update of services (Covid-19)
Our face-to-face activities are temporarily suspended due to the pandemic. However, many of our activities have adapted to the situation and are now being run online. Check out our Timetable for details on our current online activities.
Volunteers are at the heart of The Welcoming and we are privileged to have an amazing community of skilled and enthusiastic volunteers who help us to run our activities and welcome newcomers to Edinburgh.
If you have any questions or suggestions about volunteering, please email [email protected]
Current volunteering opportunities
Volunteer Fundraising and Development Officer
- Working pattern: Negotiable
- Salary: Volunteer role, unpaid
- Location: Edinburgh
- Closing date: Friday 6th August 2021, 5pm
Purpose of the role:
We are recruiting a volunteer Fundraising and Development Officer who will support the development and implementation of sustainable development and fundraising strategy for the organisation’s growth. The Fundraising and Development Officer will work closely with the Director to generate income, focusing on securing grant income and building new partnerships with the corporate sector and Trust Foundations and statutory bodies to support the current activities of the Welcoming Association.
This position will play a vital role in continuing our strong track record of securing funds from trusts and foundations and statutory through grant applications and tenders, as well as leading on the growth and future development of new income streams through digital fundraising and from corporate partnerships.
We are looking for someone with the following credentials:
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject or can demonstrate equivalent skills through ongoing professional/personal development.
- Commitment to the ethos and values of TWA.
- Ability to research and lay out clear and concise written arguments.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload
- Ability to work independently and use own initiative
- Ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Ability to work as part of a team and contribute to team goals
- Confident and competent public speaker
- Excellent IT skills
- Creative and adaptable
- Commitment to achieving personal and organisational objectives
Reporting to: The Welcoming Director.
Please send your CV and cover letter to The Welcoming’s Director, Tesfu Gessesse at [email protected].
The closing date for this position is Friday 6th August 2021, 5pm.
Community Fridge Assistant
Purpose of the role:
We are planning to launch a community fridge project at The Welcoming by the end of summer 2021.
A Community Fridge stops good food from being wasted and promotes a spirit of sharing and mutual support. Community Fridges are in accessible places and work on an honesty basis, making surplus food freely available to the public. Surplus perishable food is donated by local businesses and the public and is then made available for all.
We aim to create a space for our service users to share and access surplus food, including produce from our allotment and donations from local businesses. The fridges will be maintained by volunteers & staff.
- Picking up surplus food from local businesses & returning to the office.
- Record weight of products to calculate carbon emissions savings
- Contents organising: ensuring food is clearly labelled and stored on the appropriate shelf or drawers.
- Spot cleaning the fridges.
- Ensure the smooth running of the fridges, including recording and reporting temperatures and recording any malfunctions.
- Ensure the area is well maintained to health and safety standards, clear guidelines are on display & a welcoming space is created.
- Fridge contents monitoring: Stock rotation and monitoring shelf life of products, recording any items that have to be discarded.
Skills and qualities:
- Good interpersonal, communication and organisational skills.
- Creativity, reliability, ability to commit to at least two sessions a month.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Intermediate level of English – or above.
- Full driving license with own car, or cyclists, are preferable but not essential. For confident cyclists we can provide a bike with a trolley.
Expectations and commitment:
Volunteers are asked to commit to at least two sessions per month.
The role can be divided into collection and then sorting the fridge, depending on volunteer availability. To do the full collection, delivery and fridge organising at the office will take up to 4 hours.
We anticipate the fridge being open 1 day a week initially, this will be a weekday, the specific day is still to be arranged.
Support and training:
Induction and ongoing support. Food hygiene training.
Location: The Welcoming Association, 20/1 Westfield Avenue EH11 2TT
Covid-19 protection measures are in place to safeguard the health and wellbeing of staff members and volunteers.
PVG check: None required
Supervisor: Chiara Puppi, Project Manager [email protected]
Get in touch
If you are interested in this role please start by contacting Gail Vencker, our Volunteer Coordinator – [email protected]