The Welcoming is privileged to be one of the partners working with the newly arrived Syrian refugee community in Edinburgh as part of the Syrian Resettlement Programme, led by the City of Edinburgh Council. Together with Saheliya, Community Learning and Development and Edinburgh College, we provide ESOL and cultural integration opportunities to support the community with building their new lives in Scotland. Angela Constance MSP meets with members of the Syrian community at The Welcoming Our activities include:
- daily English classes at all levels
- Wednesday morning get-togethers for women and children
- Saturday IT and computing classes
- weekly Introduction to Driving Theory classes
- home energy visits and recycling advice through our Welcoming a Greener Future programme
- befriending opportunities through our Welcoming Friendship programme
The Syrian community are also supporting us by volunteering at The Welcoming, helping us to run our reception, stock our Free Shop, organise community events and advising on our befriending programme. They are also collaborating on a film about their experiences in Edinburgh with Welcoming film-maker Trina McKendrick. Another special contribution is the new Welcoming Arabic Cafe! With one year passed since the first group of Syrian families arrived in Edinburgh as part of the Resettlement Programme, it is hard to imagine The Welcoming without the warm presence and many different contributions of our Syrian friends. Thank you!