How to access our English language classes
Our English language classes are free and you do not need to book.
The only requirement is to register with The Welcoming, you can do this on our Register page. Once you have registered, we will contact you with information on how to attend classes.
Online drop-in English classes
- English Upper-Intermediate (B2): every Tuesday, 12:00 pm
- English Beginners/Elementary (A1 – A2): every Wednesday, 11:00 am
- English Intermediate (B1): every Thursday, 11:00 am
- New Scots English Beginner (for Arabic speakers): every Wednesday, 1:30 pm
In person drop-in English classes
In person English classes take place at The Welcoming, 20/1 Westfield Avenue, EH11 2TT.
Please note: You do not need to book classes. Classes are now drop-in.
- Beginners English (A1 – A2): Every Tuesday, 10am – 11.30am
- Intermediate English (B1): Every Wednesday, 10am – 11.30am
- Complete Beginner English: Every Thursday, 2pm – 3.30pm
Check our Timetable page to view all classes and activities.
If you have a question about our English classes, please contact David:
- David Carpenter – [email protected]
How our English classes are taught
Our classes are taught by our team of friendly and dedicated English language teachers.
All of our teachers are qualified to teach ESOL (English as a Second or Other Language) and many have years of experience teaching English all over the world. All of our teachers are also volunteers, freely giving their time and expertise to help people who are new to Edinburgh.
The focus at The Welcoming is on English for everyday living and we aim to help you develop the skills and confidence to enjoy speaking in English so that you can make the most of the opportunities available to you in Edinburgh and Scotland.
Our classes are available all year round, stopping only for the public holidays at Christmas, Easter weekend and May Day.
Everyone is welcome, though occasionally we may have to limit class numbers due to the limitations of holding a class on Zoom.
If you are interested in volunteering as an English language teacher, check out our ESOL volunteers page for updates on volunteering opportunities.
Check your level of English
If you would like to check your level of English, we suggest the following free online English tests: